PeerComps was created by certified business appraisers to give valuation professionals, intermediaries, accountants, attorneys and other business advisors the most reliable information possible on comparable transactions and valuations for small businesses.
Reliable data must come from reliable and unbiased sources. Our small business comps data has been gathered from national, regional and local SBA lenders across the United States. The data encompasses all major industry classifications and even includes specialized industries such as professional practices, franchises, online businesses, etc.
We tap into our unrivaled comparable database to help our subscribers obtain an accurate and reliable business valuation in 15 minutes or less. Our database and small business valuation calculator focus on “main street” businesses with annual revenues between $250,000 and $5 million (average revenue of $1 million).
Since 1998, PeerComps and our affiliates have gathered information on over 7,000 transactions from SBA lenders. Transactions are updated frequently and an average of 100 new comps are added each month. Participating SBA lenders are given access to the data for their internal use.
• The data has been filtered and cross-checked for inconsistencies, errors and identical transactions.
• Approximately 90% of the transactions are “asset sales”; however, if included in the sale, all real estate, cash, accounts receivable, non-operating assets, and all liabilities have been stripped to achieve a typical “asset sale”.
• Each transaction is categorized by NAICS code, industry classification or keyword, and typical financial variables for maximum search ability.
• All company names have been eliminated and replaced by keyword or industry classification for confidentiality.
Each comparable transaction includes the following:
• Business type
• North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Code
• NAICS industry classification
• Enterprise or “asset” price (furniture, fixtures, equipment, inventory & goodwill)
• Transaction Date
• Transaction State
• Seller’s Discretionary Earnings (SDE)
• Adjusted Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation & Amortization (EBITDA)
• Assets (Inventory, Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment)
• Transaction price and associated multiples include normal fixed assets, normal inventory, and goodwill
The PeerComps valuation tool uses the following approaches:
1. Asset Approach – for asset intensive businesses and/or holding companies, the asset approach is sometimes used. It is typically calculated as adjusted assets less adjusted liabilities.
2. Market Approach – using the PeerComps database, the user can search for specific comparable transactions based on NAICS, revenue or profit size, keyword, and various other variables. The market approach uses a price to revenue, price to SDE, and price to EBITDA calculations. This method can be weighted when good comparable transactions are available.
3. Income Approach – PeerComps uses a discounted future cash flow method starting with EBITDA and using a build up discount / capitalization rate specific to EBITDA cash flow. The discount rate is based on risk variables that tend to have the most impact on values of small businesses.
PeerComps was created by GCF Valuation, a full service business valuation firm located in Tampa, Florida. GCF Valuation specializes in the valuation of small to mid-market businesses for mergers & acquisitions, lending, estate planning, ESOP, divorce and litigation support. GCF Valuation and its principals, collectively, have more than 50 years of relevant experience in the areas of investment banking, corporate development and business valuation.
Creator – Steve A. Mize, ASA
Steve Mize, ASA is the managing partner of GCF Valuation and is responsible for Business Valuations and matters of litigation support. He is an Accredited Senior Appraiser of the American Society of Appraisers in Business Valuation and is an experienced business valuation professional with concentration in the development and implementation of valuation and financial strategies. He has been directly involved in numerous business valuation engagements for estate and gift tax purposes, feasibility analysis, mergers and acquisitions, dissenting shareholder actions, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, as well as consulting engagements related to fairness opinions, private transactions, and value improvement. Mr. Mize engages with accountants, attorneys, commercial bank lenders, and bank trust officers across the United States for purposes of Business Valuation, Value Improvement, and related topics. His professional affiliations include the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) and the Institute of Business Appraisers (IBA).
An All-Inclusive Annual membership provides a single-user* 12-months of unlimited access to both our business valuation tool and comp search database. With this option you can do as many valuations and comps searches as you wish without any restrictions.
Don’t need the valuation calculator? A Comps Search Annual Membership provides a single-user* 12-months of unlimited access to our comps search database. With this option, you can search our comps database as much as you wish without any restrictions, but YOU WILL NOT have access to the business valuation tool.
* Single User – each membership, regardless which one, is intended for use by one person and one person only. Multi-User Memberships are also available. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
** One-Time Business Valuations cannot be changed once the final report is created. We recommend a Membership if you anticipate changes after the fact.
*** One-Time Comp Searches are limited to 5 NAICS Codes. We recommend a Membership if you require more codes in your search.
For general inquiries, subscription information and information about multiple user discounts, please contact:
701 S. Howard Avenue, Suite 203
Tampa, FL 33606
Lori Mize, Director